Saturday, October 8, 2011

another setback...

It's almost laughable... well not really, but honestly, how many complications can arise in one pregnancy!
We went for the amnio last Tuesday, all went well and not long after we were about to leave St. John's to head for home. That's when I felt the first gush, and the second... Ken turned around in a parking lot and back to the hospital we went. On the way I phoned the receptionist for the Dr that had performed the amnio, and wes told we needed to head to the emergency room, so that's where we spent the remainder of the evening. They decided to admit me and we waited for the next day to have an ultrasound done. Luckily there is still enough fluid around the baby so long as I don't lose any more. There's a chance this will 'seal over' and everything will progress again, but the risk of infection right now is huge. I spent the last 3 nights in hospital on some pretty heavy antibiotics, and am now home on bedrest until Tuesday. So far I haven't had much more fluid, just a small amount on the paper when I wipe.
There's only a 1-2% chance of complications after an amnio.... really, I know statistics don't mean as much to me now after having a second trimester loss..... but I felt fairly confident going into the procedure that I'd be okay, the doctor performs hundreds of these a year..... What amazing bad luck!
Sooooooo the worst news to come out of this, is now they're scared to perform the cerclage with my membranes ruptured, now the risk of infection is so high... I'm pretty much left hanging right now. My cervix was already slightly shortened on the last ultrasound, and she told me that we may have to look at getting the cerclage done after this week's appt. We were still kind of waiting for the results of the amnio to do anything, in case there was a syndrome present that would mean absolutely no chance of survival for the baby. Truly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't! If we hadn't done the amnio, we were told we were risking a lot by carrying on with the pregnancy (especially since it's so hard for me to carry to term anyway) And now, because I went ahead with the procedure, we may have screwed it all up anyway! ARghghghhghghgh
The only bright spot in all of this so far is that the preliminary results of the amnio came back yesterday, and some of the more common disorders have all came back negative, and it looks like this time around I'm carrying a little boy! Please please pray we'll be able to keep him safe until it's time to come home!

14 comments:

  1. Oh Sherri... you are going through so much. So sorry to hear that you've had another complication... thinking of you and your little man and sending you love to get through all this and closer to term. Love always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my girl.. thinking of you always. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you in my prayers. I'm sorry you have again fallen on the bad side of the odds. I'm so glad that the preliminary results have been good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness...I can't believe all that you have been through with this pregnancy. I can't imagine the stress you are feeling right now...

    Congrats on your little boy, though. It's great that the preliminary results were good for him. Hope they are able to get that cerclage in with no complications.

    I'm keeping you and your little boy in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the complications.......definitely praying for you guys.

    Congratulations on your sweet baby boy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following your pregnancy and I will definitely pray for you and your little boy.
    I cannot believe how much you have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sherri, I don't usually pray, as I am not a religious person, but I am going to make an exception for you. I can't believe how much you have been through, and my heart breaks for you. I am thrilled that your amnio tests have come back positively so far, and will pray that you little man will hold on to term and will come home happy and healthy.
    Love you you and your little man, and Kristen, and Jenna.
    Brooke
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you. Reading about your amnio scares me...I didn't have one with my little girl and now looking back I wish we had done one. Thank you for sharing and I hope all continues to go well with your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This hasn't been a good day for news in the BLM circle. I'm so sorry. Will be holding out hope for you and that little boy you're carrying. Gosh. It would be great if we all could have certainty that things will work out. I guess all we have is to love and cherish our time with these littles. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you have to deal with this now...you will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers and hoping on Tuesday you will get some good news on the fluid level. It just doesn't make sense...it shouldn't have to be this hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry my friend. I hope this bag of waters re-seals and you baby boy (!!!!) arrives safely when he's supposed to. Fingers crossed my love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to read this update! I am definitely keeping you and your little man in my prayers. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Continuing to pray for you and your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am continuing to pray for you and your little boy. Thank you so much for keeping us all updated.

    ReplyDelete