It's almost laughable... well not really, but honestly, how many complications can arise in one pregnancy!
We went for the amnio last Tuesday, all went well and not long after we were about to leave St. John's to head for home. That's when I felt the first gush, and the second... Ken turned around in a parking lot and back to the hospital we went. On the way I phoned the receptionist for the Dr that had performed the amnio, and wes told we needed to head to the emergency room, so that's where we spent the remainder of the evening. They decided to admit me and we waited for the next day to have an ultrasound done. Luckily there is still enough fluid around the baby so long as I don't lose any more. There's a chance this will 'seal over' and everything will progress again, but the risk of infection right now is huge. I spent the last 3 nights in hospital on some pretty heavy antibiotics, and am now home on bedrest until Tuesday. So far I haven't had much more fluid, just a small amount on the paper when I wipe.
There's only a 1-2% chance of complications after an amnio.... really, I know statistics don't mean as much to me now after having a second trimester loss..... but I felt fairly confident going into the procedure that I'd be okay, the doctor performs hundreds of these a year..... What amazing bad luck!
Sooooooo the worst news to come out of this, is now they're scared to perform the cerclage with my membranes ruptured, now the risk of infection is so high... I'm pretty much left hanging right now. My cervix was already slightly shortened on the last ultrasound, and she told me that we may have to look at getting the cerclage done after this week's appt. We were still kind of waiting for the results of the amnio to do anything, in case there was a syndrome present that would mean absolutely no chance of survival for the baby. Truly a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't! If we hadn't done the amnio, we were told we were risking a lot by carrying on with the pregnancy (especially since it's so hard for me to carry to term anyway) And now, because I went ahead with the procedure, we may have screwed it all up anyway! ARghghghhghghgh
The only bright spot in all of this so far is that the preliminary results of the amnio came back yesterday, and some of the more common disorders have all came back negative, and it looks like this time around I'm carrying a little boy! Please please pray we'll be able to keep him safe until it's time to come home!