Friday, November 4, 2011

Cerclage in Place!

Tuesday was a ROUGH ride! I've been nervous every weekly appt, especially since my cervix looked like it was shortening. On Tuesday, we found out that I had shortened from 2.3cm to 0.6!! 6 freaking millimeters!? The Dr at the Maternal fetal Unit wanted to test my fluid again, apparently the week before when I went to my RE, she had swabbed me, but didn't look under the microscope for what they call ferning. As this was our last resort, and I was sure that the fluid that's still seeping out of me was amniotic, I was devestated. Thank the lord there was no ferning evident, and they wheeled me in for an emergency cerclage. Still scared to death though, because our medical history this pregnancy has been all but a smooth ride, and let's face it 6 millimeters isn't alot to work with when you're using a needle that close to a sac filled with fluid! Finally, things seem to be on our side, and the surgery went off without a hitch! When I came out of recovery, they wheeled my stretcher straight for the room that I gave birth to Kristen in, and I had a slight panic attack... luckily the room next to it was empty. I would have spent the night in the hallway if I had to, I have no plans of ever going back into that room! I stayed in the hospital a few extra nights, just to be certain things were okay, and just got home this afternoon. Now we're just praying that I avoid infection (I still think that I have a small rupture, but wasn't going to argue the cerclage) I'll take the extra risk of infection over the certainty that this baby was going to arrive too early! The fluid that's on my tissue every time I wipe, is the same fluid that took me to the hospital when I suspected something might be wrong last year, and also when I went in before Jenna was born (same scenario, but at that time I was 34 wks so Jenna was okay) And it only started appearing after they ruptured my membranes this time! So I'm a little extra worried about infection.... but so glad to have been given this chance at extra time with our baby! Hopefully this is what's needed to get him close enough to term that he'll come home with us someday!
Today I'm 21wks 6 days.... tomorrow was the gestation I was at when Kristen was born. I think the extreme coincidence in dates added to my stress levels Tueday, to come so close to losing another baby, and in the same time frame as Kristen was really really frightening! I can't wait to get past tomorrow, and hopefully a LOT further into this pregnancy before Carter decides to make an appearance!
Blogger has been a pain again lately, and I can't seem to comment! Please know that I'm reading, and thinking about you all.... and have tried and tried to comment on some of your blogs! A special (belated) Happy Birthday to Aiden! I didn't have my laptop these past few days in the hospital or I would have sent my wishes on time! Sorry Natasha!

11 comments:

  1. I am so happy you were still able to get the cerclage. Crossing my fingers that no infection will arise and praying the rest of this pregnancy is worry free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news! I am still praying for you and your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are finally getting some good news because you are way overdue. Praying you stay infection free and that everything becomes a little less hectic, actually a lot less hectic and you have many many many weeks before you meet your little man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that the cerclage placement went well!! Hoping and praying that no more problems arise and you're able to carry Carter to full-term!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you fot the cerclage placed! And thank goodness they didn't wheel you into that room!

    Thinking of you and baby Carter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad everything went well! Praying for you and little baby Carter! Just one day at a time mama- that's what I tell myself every day.

    And thank you so much for remembering Aiden on his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart skipped a beat when I saw this post! :) Glad there is some hope and progress. That's all any of us can have during our pregnancies... just a little hope things will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sherri... you're going through so much. Glad that they were able to insert the cerclage without a hitch :) You and you're little one are true fighters and so brave... sending you lots of love and thoughts xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you were able to get the cerclage. I'm continuing to think of and pray for you and your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherri, So glad you were able to get the cerclage! Carter is obviously a fighter- and so are you.
    It must be so hard with the dates cooresponding so closely with Kristen's dates.
    If you're in the hospital again, let me know and I can come keep you company, or bring you some food!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PHEEEEEEEEWWWWWW! Thank you so much for updating us, Sherri! I have been thinking of you TONS lately, and just keeping my fingers crossed for great news. I am 21w1d today, so so close to you in timing. I am also coming up on the time when I had Love in the next week. I can't believe the baby in my tummy is the same size as Love when she was born. it is crazy.
    I think of you often, and am rooting for you and little Carter. You are both such troopers, and are doing such a great job hanging in there!
    Just keep doing what you are doing. Keep us posted!!!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete